Stay Sharp

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Day Out...





A tattoo convention here in Japan is somewhat different from what people in Europe or the States might find the norm , it's many times just a phrase or slogan that is being used to get people buying tickets. A whole range of different cultures and styles always shows up and this is a great chance for any photographer to find interesting topics. I was shooting one event the otherday and there were many up-level tattooists there but also kickboxers, hairdressers (?), skateboarders, punks and B-boy Chicano wannabees (these guys are the best, very funny) all mixed up under one roof. An anthropologist should be there for some field studies. Fun in a way but also pretty sad to see the shallowness shining through the facade most of times. As a serious freelance photographer I get more and more un-inspired to do a god job at events like this and start shooting from the hip, which is a bad sign (for me anyway), that a lack of interest is lurking in the depts of the day.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hello! Sorry to do this in a comment, but I couldn't find an email address for you. I'm in Tokyo, visiting from San Francisco. i'd hoped to get a hand poked piece while here, or at least to see some hand poked work, but have not been able to find any. The tattoo scene is so hidden here...

So I just found your site today. Beautiful work! I'm only here until monday april 9, so its maybe too late, but can you tell me of any hand poked artists in town, or any events goiing on i should check out?

You can see me and some of my ink here:
http://www.inkednation.com/sucker4ink

my email: christopher.nash@gmail.com

Keep up the good work!